UOSSM Bab Al-Hawa Hospital (BHH)
One of UOSSM’s major initiatives is the establishment of Bab Al-Hawa Hospital (BHH), which launched its initial operations at the end of 2012. Bab Al-Hawa Hospital is currently the most strategic, important healthcare facility and the largest emergency and specialty hospital in northern Syria and is considered the “Referral Hospital” in the region, because of its safe location near the Turkish border, in addition to the extensive services and complex clinical care it provides. With its 9 operating rooms, adult, pediatric, and neonatal Intensive Care Units (ICUs), and 15 specialty outpatient medical clinics, BHH not only has the capacity to provide emergency triage and lifesaving surgeries, but also conducts many specialized surgeries and provides specialty medical services to thousands of people on a monthly basis.
The hospital provides a broad range of specialty medical and surgical services including general, thoracic, vascular, orthopedic, neuro, urologic, ophthalmic, maxillofacial, E.N.T, pediatric surgeries and medical care, in addition to dialysis, outpatient cardiology, colonoscopy and others. Within BHH lies the largest advanced blood bank in the area, producing 1000 blood bags, with different blood components, per month to hospital and medical points in the region. BHH conducts an average of 900 major surgeries and provides medical services to an average of 20,000 patients per month.
The Emergency Department: Provides emergency surgical operations, trauma care, and minor surgeries. The emergency department consists of 2 emergency operating rooms, a fully equipped emergency hall that contains 8 beds, providing around the clock, emergency services to patients. It is considered the only referral center to Turkish hospitals, for cases that cannot be dealt with at the hospital inside Syria.
Specialty Surgery Department: The Specialized Surgery Department is equipped with 7 operating rooms, offering a wide range of specialized surgeries to around 700 patients a month. Most rare, specialized surgeries are performed in this department, such as, eradication of cancerous tumors, vitrectomy and retinal detachment, repair of congenital defects in children and newborns, neurological surgery, arthroscopic surgery, Whipple operations, esophagus reconstruction and ERCP. The Specialty Department includes the intensive care unit (ICU) of 8 beds, recovery unit, post-op care units of 6 fully equipped beds, and inpatient wards that admit approximately 150 patients per month.
The Pediatric and Neonatal Surgical Department: A group of highly experienced medical staff work in this department dealing with various neonatal and pediatric medical conditions. Surgical services are provided to correct congenital malformations in newborns, as well post-operative care to newborns and children. This department provides a variety of specific surgeries such as genital reconstruction, congenital malformations repair, oncology procedures, as well as hernial deformations in neonates. The department consists of 7 incubators and 2 artificial ventilators, 13 beds which are used for post-op care, and includes Neonatal and Pediatric ICU's.
Specialized Outpatient Department: Considered one of the most important departments as it combines the provision of both specialized surgical and non-surgical medical services. This department contains 15 clinics providing prep for elective surgeries and a wide range of specialized services, such as general, vascular, orthopedics, neurology, thoracic, pulmonology, urology, gastrointestinal, ENT, cardiology, echography, pediatrics, and ophthalmology.
Specialized Cardiology Department: Includes a 24-hour urgent care unit treating emergency and regular cardiac cases and consists of a Cardiac Clinic, Cardiac Care Unit (CCU), and a Cardiac Lab; currently the only one of its kinds in northern Syria.
Dialysis Department: Consists of 2 rooms equipped with 6 dialysis machines which offer urgent and chronic dialysis to patients with acute and advanced kidney failure, and provides medications needed to patients.
Advanced Blood Bank Department: Is the most advanced blood bank in northern Syria, which has the capacity to provide different blood components, including packed red blood cell (PRBC) concentrate, platelet concentrate, fresh frozen plasma and others.
Department of Diagnostic Procedures:
- Radiology Department (X-Ray, CT Scan, Echo). The Radiology Department provides vital diagnostic tests and reports for all hospital departments and offers specific diagnostic services for vascular, urological and general surgeries. This department also contains an Echo-Doppler device and a fixed X-Ray device that produces high resolution imagery and specific contrast images. This enables the medical team to share and store images digitally and improve quality of services. In addition, the CT/CAT Scan Imaging Department contains a high accuracy, multi-slice imaging device (16 slices) with or without dye injection.
- Laboratory and Microbiology Department is equipped with the most advance laboratory equipment processing a full range of laboratory and microbiology testing.
- Pathology Department is the only laboratory of its kind in northern Syria.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG), Electromyogram (EMG) and other neurodiagnostic procedures
Inpatient Pharmacy Department: Which provides hospital medications, medical supplies and consumables.
Sarmada Rehabilitation Center: Which contains a Recovery Center, a Physiotherapy Center, and a Urology Rehabilitation Center
- Recovery Center: Nursing services, medication and long-term care accommodations are provided.
- Physiotherapy Center: The center is comprised of a waiting area, physiotherapy equipment room, and different treatment centers for men, women and children. The center offers services for medical conditions such as: peripheral and central nerve injuries, Guillain Barré Syndrome, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, orthopedic injuries that may lead to movement restriction, or arthropathy.
- Urology Rehabilitation Clinic: This is the only clinic of its kind in Northern Syria which is in high demand and provides the following services: cystometrogram (useful in the differential diagnosis of bladder diseases due to spinal cord injuries, congenital malformation in children, and prostatomegaly), Urodynamics, diagnostic and therapeutic cystoscopy, diagnostic urethroscopy, blood analysis laboratory, diagnostic biopsies, operating room, installation of ureter catheter.
Due to its strategic importance, relative safety and proximity to the Turkish Border, many donors and partners had, and continue to have, great interests to support our Bab Al-Hawa Hospital, with few donors fully supporting all functions and services provided at the hospital. We appreciate the recent support of The King Salman Foundation that fully supported BHH for 2 years. Recently, after the sudden disruption of funding for BHH towards the end of 2019, Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) Foundation agreed to assist UOSSM in supporting the staff and operational costs of the hospital until the end September of 2020, while UOSSM continues to provide the medications, medical supplies and consumables to the hospital during this period. We appreciate SAMS’s initiative to assist UOSSM to continue operating the largest and most important referral hospital in northern Syria. UOSSM will continue seeking more funding for BHH to be able to continue the operation of this significant hospital, to continue saving lives and building hope.